Saquon Barkley is excited to show what he can do against the

Playing a gig? Holding a fair? Having a pub quiz? Spread the word of your event for free by telling people here

Saquon Barkley is excited to show what he can do against the

Postby liny195 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:51 am

The New York Giants have a game on Sunday. Not a practice Cheap Jon Halapio Jersey , or a scrimmage, or even a preseason exhibition game, but a real, live regular season game. They will face the Jacksonville Jaguars, a team who accomplished the jump from 3-13 to double-digit wins and a playoff run in 2017 — the same jump the Giants want to make in 2018. This will also mark the first time running back Saquon Barkley, will take the field in a game sincethe first week of preseason. On being ready for Week 1Saquon Barkley hasn’t taken a game rep since about the final five minutes of the first quarter of the first preseason game against the Cleveland Browns. Barkley strained his hamstring the next week in practice and would miss the remainder of the preseason games. He did return to practice just before the Giants game against the New York Jets, but the question remains whether he is in “football shape” for the season opener.Barkley said in reply, “A lot of people talk about football shape, and just being in shape regular. They don’t mean like their physical contact part of it. Obviously, that’s part of it, too. I still was able to take the physical contact within practice. I just didn’t go down to the ground, I got a little bit of it within the Browns. But, I feel I’m in really good physical football shape, because in practice, doing a little extra stuff with Stew (Jonathan Stewart) on the sideline – running, conditioning there. I was running the whole time when I was out. That’s more like track speed conditioning shape. So, the first day when I got back, I was a little winded. ... But I definitely feel pretty good in the football shape right now.”“I definitely think I’m ready for a full load,” he added, with regards to week one against the Jaguars. “The way I’ve been preparing, the way I’ve been practicing. We got a whole bunch of great backs in our room. That’s going to help us in that area, too. I’m just excited for the game, excited to get the season started.”The excitement among the team and the fanbase to see what Barkley can do was palpable before the game against the Cleveland Browns. Then Barkley took his very first carry as an NFL player 39 yards just like his many college highlights, and the excitement went to another level. Now, after not playing in three games, Barkley himelf is the one who is excited. “I’m excited to show the team because, obviously, I only got a little bit of playing time there http://www.giantscheapshops.com/cheap-authentic-connor-barwin-jersey ,” Barkley said. “I was able to make some plays happen in practice. I got to still be aware that it’s a long season and you have to take it game-by-game, and day-by-day. I’m just trying to get as ready as I can for this game – mentally and physically, and try the best that I can do, and try to do whatever I can do for my team to help them come out with a win.”Would Barkley return kicks?The Giants tried a variety of players as kick returners during training camp and the prepreseason, including Hunter Sharp, Kalif Raymond, and Cody Latimer. Barkley got a look as well, and while the Giants might be loathe to put the second overall pick on kickoff returns. Fears of injury echo through the minds of both coaches and fans, butBarkley did it in college — and was a weapon. He wasn’t a frequent kickoff returner, but when Penn State needed a spark in Barkley’s junior year they would put him back to receiver kick-offs. Last year he returned 15 kicks for 426 yards and a pair of touchdowns. “I’ll be eager to definitely be in the mix of kickoff return,” Barkley said. “I did it in college. I was able to help my team out in college in that area. If they, or if I show that I’m capable of doing that for the Giants, why not? It’s definitely something I feel comfortable with, and I’m honestly willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win. If that’s the job they want me to do, I would love to do that.”Giants 30, Lions 17: 9 things we learned in Giants preseason victory What did we learn Friday night as the New York Giants were defeating the Detroit Lions 30-17 in NFL preseason action? You mean, aside from the fact that coach Pat Shurmur played it smart and kept Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr. anchored to the sideline? Well, read on and find out.What backup quarterback competition?Davis Webb started with Eli Manning joining Saquon Barkley and Odell Beckham Jr. on the sidelines, and put last week’s difficult game vs. the Cleveland Browns in the rearview mirror. He went 14-of-20 fo 140 yards with a touchdown and a 106.2 passer rating. He engineered a 17-play, 70-yard touchdown drive that lasted more than nine minutes. He threw some beatiful balls, a 27-yarder to Sterling Shepard and a 40-yarder to Russell Shepard among them.Kyle Lauletta had an interesting night. He led the Giants on two scoring drives, running for a 10-yard score and helping to block on an 11-yard touchdown run by Wayne Gallman. He showed some poise under duress. He completed only 2-of-5 passes, though, and all three incompletions were off-target balls to open receivers that should have resulted in nice gains for the offense.Bad news for Brett JonesJon Halapio was a game day captain. If it wasn’t already obvious that the center competition is over and Halapio is the starter, it certainly is now.Alec Ogletree is a liability in coverageIn the Giants first preseason game, the veteran linebacker was victimized by tight end David Njoku for a 36-yard touchdown. Friday, he was badly beaten by running back Theo Riddick for a 42-yard gain. If he’s going to be on the field for all three downs the Giants are going to need to find ways to limit his exposure in coverage.The helmet rule is madnessWhat, exactly Cheap Will Hernandez Jersey , is Mark Herzlich supposed to do here? Allow himself to be blocked? Try to run around the blocker? Beside which the blocking back, Theo Riddick, launched himself helmet first into Herzlich. So how is that a 15-yard penalty on Herzlich?It’s Kerry Wynn’s worldI seriously am starting to believe the Giants put kickoffs in play only so the 265-pound Wynn can barrel down the field, crush would-be blockers and make tackles. Wynn made the tackles on the Giants’ first three kickoffs Friday. For good measure, he tossed in a sack, a quarterback hit and two total tackles on defense. Kyle Lauletta has wheels ... and he can block!If things don’t work out for Lauletta as a quarterback, maybe he has a future as a ball carrier.Lauletta made several Detroit defenders miss on a 10-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. Lauletta rolled left, juked a couple of defenders and dove for the score. Impressive stuff. On an 11-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run by Wayne Gallman it was Lauletta who threw the final block. Well, sort of. The rookie mostly got in the way of a defender or two, allowing Gallman a clear path to the end zone. Still, not shabby for a quarterback. The Giants aren’t showing much on defenseThat’s not to sat they aren’t playing well. Aside from Ogletree’s adventures in pass coverage, the starting defense has played well in two preseason games. It means they aren’t showing much schematically. The Giants three- and four-man lines vs. Detroit, but didn’t show a whole lot in terms of stunts, blitzes or unique looks. Defensive coordinator James Bettcher is saving that stuff for when he needs it.Cornerback clarity? Nah!Chris has already offered up a nice look at winners and losers in the Giants’ position battles. I just need to discuss cornerback for a minute. I was hoping the Giants would emerge with some clarity here, but I don’t think that was the case. Unless you want to say it’s clear they really need to be scouring the waiver wire once teams make cuts at the end of the preseason.I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I need to rain on the Grant Haley parade. He had little to nothing to do with the interception by Ray-Ray Armstrong. Had Detroit’s T.J. Jones done his job and made the catch that’s a completion in front of Haley, not a ball that glances off Haley’s arm and gets picked off by the Giants linebacker.Haley, an undrafted free agent bidding for a roster spot, gave up a touchdown, a number of completions and missed a couple of tackles. A step backward.I thought veterans B.W. Webb and Leonard Johnson took steps forward.In the end, I’m still confused about who should/should not make the roster. And, is William Gay a corner or a safety? Or both? Or neither?A surprising developmentOn a number of occasions I have written or said that I am concerned about the depth at inside linebacker behind Ogletree and B.J. Goodson. For the second straight week, Armstrong (2 tackles, an interception, a pass defensed) and Herzlich (7 tackles) played well.
liny195

Return to What's On In Streatham Common