SOC-WCUP PREVIEW

Playing a gig? Holding a fair? Having a pub quiz? Spread the word of your event for free by telling people here

SOC-WCUP PREVIEW

Postby liny195 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:33 am

Danny Woodhead went from undersized and undrafted to big-time playmaker in 10 NFL seasons.

The versatile running back announced his retirement from playing in a humble and heartfelt post on Instagram early Saturday.

”10 years!” Woodhead wrote. ”Wow Clark Harris Jersey , God had crazy plans for a small little kid from North Platte, NE! It’s been a wild ride and feel so blessed He allowed me to do what I loved for so long. But now it’s time to say goodbye to the game I love.”

The 5-foot-8, 204-pound Woodhead had 2,238 yards rushing and 15 touchdowns, along with 300 catches for 2,698 yards and 17 scores while playing for the New York Jets, New England, San Diego and Baltimore. He added an exciting element to the offenses in which he played, able to run the ball through seemingly the smallest of holes or take a short pass and turn it into a long gain.

The 33-year-old Woodhead is also a devout Christian who leaned on his faith during the ups and downs of what became a successful NFL career.

”All I had to do was follow His plans for my life,” Woodhead wrote, ”and His plans were crazy awesome!”

Woodhead was a two-time Harlon Hill Trophy winner at Chadron State in Nebraska as the top player in NCAA Division II. Despite his college success, he went undrafted in 2008 and signed with the Jets as a free agent.

Already a longshot to make the roster, Woodhead suffered a serious knee injury during a training camp practice and spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve. He recovered in time for camp the next summer and became a fan favorite as one of the Jets’ featured players on HBO’s ”Hard Knocks.” Woodhead made his NFL regular-season debut midway through the 2009 season.

He was released by New York early the next season because of a roster crunch, but New England quickly signed him. In three seasons with the Patriots, Woodhead established himself as a valuable part of Tom Brady’s offense. His 547 yards rushing and five TD runs in 2010 are both career highs.

Woodhead signed with the Chargers in 2013 and played parts of four seasons with them while thriving in the passing game with Philip Rivers. He caught 76 passes for 605 yards and six touchdowns in 2013, but missed all but three games the next season after breaking a leg during a game.

Woodhead returned the next season and had perhaps the best year of his career, with a personal-best 80 receptions for 755 yards and six TDs while also rushing for 336 yards and three more scores.

He was injured again, though, in Week 2 of the 2016 season when he tore a knee ligament against Jacksonville. Woodhead signed with Baltimore last offseason, but spent the first eight games on injured reserve while dealing with a hamstring injury. He finished with 33 catches for 200 yards and also ran for 56 yards in limited action with the Ravens.

In his farewell message, Woodhead thanked God Adam Gotsis Jersey , his wife Stacia – his high school sweetheart – and family, his agent Chris Gittings, along with all of his former coaches – singling them out by name – and former high school, college and NFL teammates.

”Without you guys, I never would’ve become who I was as a player,” he wrote. ”To all my o-linemen, you guys deserve the credit for anything that I received credit for. I thank you for helping make my career.”

Several former teammates congratulated Woodhead on social media, including Baltimore safety Eric Weddle, who played with him with the Chargers and Ravens, and Ravens free-agent tight end Benjamin Watson.

”Passionate, talented, loyal, honest, God fearing, humble, family first, dedicated, funny, never serious, spontaneous, hard working is (at)danny–woodhead Christian Jones Jersey ,” Weddle wrote on Twitter . ”Sad for my bro. Many yrs 2gether, but more memories to come. Thankful for ur friendship. Love you woody!!!!!!!!!”

Added Watson on Twitter : ”It was an honor to share the locker room with you last year. Thank you for your consistent witness, courage, and perseverance. Man we had some laughs. Well done brother. Congratulations!”

Woodhead closed by graciously thanking the medical personnel he worked with, as well as team employees and NFL fans.

”You’re the best and have always felt the love and support!” Woodhead wrote. ”I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few, but know that I’m thankful for everything everyone has done on my journey.”

A look ahead to top enterprise and feature stories planned globally by AP Sports. New digests will go out each Thursday and Monday and will be repeated on other weekdays. Please note that story plans may change depending on news and other issues.

For access to AP Newsroom and other technical issues, contact AP Customer Support at apcustomersupport(at)ap.org or 877-836-9477. For reruns, call the Service Desk 800-838-4616 or your local AP bureau.

As with all our operations, we welcome and want your feedback. If you have thoughts or questions about the Sports Showcase Digest or the material listed, please reach out to Oskar Garcia, deputy sports editor for presentation and storytelling, at 215-446-6632 or at ogarcia(at)ap.org.

All times are Eastern.

SENT:

GLF–US OPEN

SOUTHHAMPTION, N.Y. -Such is the reputation of century-old Shinnecock Hills that everyone can’t wait to get there for the U.S. Open. No one is more excited than the USGA, the organization that runs what it calls the ultimate test in golf. Lately, this ultimate test has seemed more like a trivia quiz. Twice in the last three years, the U.S. Open has gone to courses only a decade old- Chambers Bay and Erin Hills – that featured wide fairways and the wrong kind of weather. It reached a point where Jack Nicklaus, whose name is on the gold medal awarded to the winner, feared the U.S. Open was losing its identity. Shinnecock Hills should restore that feeling as Tiger Woods returns after a three-year hiatus, and Phil Mickelson chases the elusive leg of the Grand Slam. By Golf Writer Doug Ferguson. SENT: 1,100 words, photos by 4 p.m. Thursday.

WITH: GLF–US OPEN-FACTS AND FIGURES Dede Westbrook Jersey , GLF–US OPEN-HOLE BY HOLE, GLF–US OPEN-YARDAGE-PAR.

GLF–US OPEN-TIGER’S LAST MAJOR

Hank Haney remembers sitting next to Tiger Woods when the doctor delivered the news: Along with shredded ligaments in his left knee, he had a double stress fracture in his leg. Typical recovery was four-to-six weeks on crutches and a month of rehab. This was 13 days before the start of the U.S. Open. ”My immediate thought was, `I’ve got the rest of the year off,”’ said Haney, his swing coach. Woods had other ideas. ”I’m playing in the U.S. Open and I’m going to win it.” And with that, he left the doctor sitting on his couch. Haney was among several people who came in contact with Woods during the course of a U.S. Open that stands as his greatest will to win. Ten years later, it also is the last major he won. By Golf Writer Doug Ferguson. SENT: 1,900 words, photos.

WITH: GLF–US OPEN-CAPSULES, GLF–US OPEN-TRIVIA QUIZ.

SATURDAY, June 19

GLF–US OPEN-SHINNECOCK

SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. – Mike Davis is making no excuses about the last time the U.S. Open was at Shinnecock Hills, when the course became so brittle that balls wouldn’t stay on the seventh green and 28 players couldn’t break 80. He also stopped just short of a pledge there won’t be a repeat 14 years later. Davis is the chief executive of the USGA who has spent more than a decade setting up the U.S. Open for the best players in the world. It has become a science with technology that measures everything from moisture in the ground to how fast grass is growing on different sections of the greens. By Golf Writer Doug Ferguson. UPCOMING: 800 words, photos by 4 a.m. Saturday.

WITH: GLF–US OPEN-SHINNECOCK CAPSULES.

MONDAY, June 11

BRAZIL-WCUP-STICKERS

SAO PAULO – Teacher Ari Mascarenhas could have picked a high-tech gadget or flashy app to help his eighth grade students with their Portuguese language grammar, reading and text interpretation. Instead, he is finding a creative way to use something completely analog: the World Cup sticker book, which features national team players of countries getting ready to compete in Russia later this month. The album is all the rage among soccer fans in Brazil and around the world, even if it is decidedly old school. ”In such a divisive world we can still swap, trade and have something in common Niles Paul Jersey ,” said Mascarenhas, who like many adults, does his own buying and trading of stickers. By Mauricio Savarese. UPCOMING: 900 words, photos by 3 a.m. Monday.

SOC–WCUP-US-BETTER IN SPANISH

NEW YORK – NBC’s Telemundo network is trying to get English viewers in the United States to watch its World Cup coverage rather than tune into Fox’s debut, taking advance of the United States’ absence with a campaign that the tournament is better in Spanish. By Ronald Blum. UPCOMING: 800 words, photos by 4 p.m. Monday.

TUESDAY, June 12

SOC–WCUP-THE JERSEYS

NEW YORK – Spain, your asymmetry is showing. Nigeria, you’re so bright I need shades! Croatia, Russia’s fresh out of Big Boy restaurants. Those three countries and a few more are among the more festive standouts in jerseys this time around, with loads of sentimental touches in the designs of the 32 shirts rolled out over the last few months. By Leanne Italie. UPCOMING: 1,100 words, photos by 3 a.m. Tuesday.

SOC-WCUP PREVIEW

After raising the World Cup eight miles from Copacabana Beach four years ago, Germany hopes to lift the trophy four miles from the Kremlin on July 15 and become the first repeat champion in more than a half-century. The soccer world gathers at 12 stadiums in 11 cities across the European portion of Russia starting June 14 for a 32-day, 64-match championship. Much has changed since Die Mannschaft humiliated the host Selecao 7-1 in the 2014 semifinals, then left Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana Stadium with a 1-0 extra-time win over Argentina on Mario Goetze’s 113th Tennessee Titans Customized Jerseys ,
liny195

Re: SOC-WCUP PREVIEW

Postby wuhuilin11 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:59 pm

james harden shoes
kate spade bags
cartier
skechers uk
new balance
yeezy shoes
north face outlet
pandora jewelry
salvatore